Covering University of Colorado sports, mostly basketball, since 2010

Friday, November 21, 2014

Friday Beer Post: 2014 Gameday Beer-o-the-week - Wyoming Edition

Each week throughout the football season I'm going to suggest a good beer for the ubiquitous pre-game tailgate. Let's be honest, with tailgates it's not always top quality that you're looking for. To steal a phrase from the heinous beer terrorists at Budweiser, you want "drinkability." (or what a real beer connoisseur calls "a session beer") So, be warned, these may not be "the best" beers around. But, in the words of Dave Chappelle as Samuel L. Jackson "IT'LL GET YOU DRUNK!"

All apologies to the football team, but I'm headed up to Laramie tomorrow for the basketball game, leaving any hope of a football watch party non-existent.  That doesn't mean that beer isn't on the menu, however.  I fully plan on getting up to the home of the Cowboys with more than enough time to put away a few before entering the stadium.  When in Rome...

So, what will I be drinking?  Well, I think it needs to fit with the ouvre of the region.  I hate to be stereotypical, but, when I think Wyoming (after I get past the gusting winds and barren terrain), I think rednecks hunting game.  With that in mind, there's only one option: Busch in a trophy/camo can.  It's this week's gameday beer-o-the-week.

Oh my, is this a nasty pick.  Not only am I painting with a broad brush about our rural neighbors to the north, but Busch is a truly horrible beverage.  This is the stuff that Budweiser doesn't think is good enough to get the full 'King of Beers' treatment, watered down and re-packaged for consumption.  An 'economy' version of an already terrible product.  *LOL*, I bet you weren't expecting to see this pop up in the beer post today.

This is, of course, an American adjunct lager, otherwise known as a macro-brew.  The ingredients are sub-par and homogeneous, the taste is off-putting and slightly metallic, and it'll give you a wicked upset stomach. If that isn't a hard sell for this beast, I don't know what is!  You can find it everywhere third-rate beers are sold, often in quantities you'd rather not admit to purchasing.  Why not buy a rack of these, and get weird!


Happy Friday!  Go Buffs, beat the Cowboys (and Ducks too)!

1 comment:

Claroofus Jones said...

That really isn't stereotyping - that IS Wyoming. And they are proud of it. I don't mind either, as I am an OH (Original Hick). But I've graduated to real beer, and so will not be searching out the Busch 30-packs when I, too, am in Laramie tomorrow.