Covering University of Colorado sports, mostly basketball, since 2010

Friday, August 30, 2013

Friday Beer Post: 2013 Gameday Beer-o-the-week - RMS edition

Each week throughout the football season I'm going to suggest a good beer for the ubiquitous pre-game tailgate. Let's be honest, with tailgates it's not always top quality that you're looking for. To steal a phrase from the heinous beer terrorists at Budweiser, you want "drinkability." (or what a real beer connoisseur calls "a session beer") So, be warned, these may not be "the best" beers around. But, in the words of Dave Chappelle as Samuel L. Jackson "IT'LL GET YOU DRUNK!"

I may not know how this season will go, but I do know that the tailgate will be awesome.  The beer, the food, the pong... the tailgate has never lost a game.  Plus, I now live within walking distance of Folsom Field, which means safeties off on pregame beverage consumption.  Shit's about to get weird, yo.

--

Traditionally, I reserve the RMS for Buff Gold - so noble the packaging, so average the taste.  However, much like the football team, I feel we can do better. This summer I fell in love with a session ale from Odell Brewing.  That beer, Loose Leaf, is the first gameday beer-o-the-week for 2013.

Much like the opponent this week, my pick comes from Ft Collins.  For the record, Odell Brewing is the superior brewery in Ft Collins.  End of question.  If you prefer New Belgium, your opinion is wrong (Fat Tire sucks). 

Loose Leaf, only available in the Montage mix pack, is a light (4.5% ABV), yet surprisingly flavorful session ale.  New to the Odell lineup, it goes down easy with springy flavors of lemon grass, and shows a  supportive touch of hops.  This beer is incredibly easy to drink, but packs enough flavor to let you know that you're actually having a beer.

I'm surprised I haven't seen something like this around the Front Range before.  It's perfect for those long, hot days of the Colorado summer - easy to drink in bunches, but flavorful enough to pour proudly in a beer snob market.  Hell, maybe there is something like this in the area, and I just missed it.  Regardless, I highly suggest you pick up a summer montage pack if you can find one, and give Loose Leaf a try.

Happy Friday!  Go Buffs, sack the Rams!

No comments: