Covering University of Colorado sports, mostly basketball, since 2010

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Spencer Dinwiddie vs Alec Burks

Cruising through (read: stalking) twitter last night, I stumbled on this conversation between modern Buff phenoms Spencer Dinwiddie and Alec Burks:

@AlecBurks10: Everybody meet my son RT @SDinwiddie_25: I'm so close..

@SDimwiddie_25: I see u feel the need to comment on a real bucket getter's tweet..

Alec: @SDinwiddie_25 here u go talkin bout buckets u don't be gettin tho

Spencer: check the stats lil homie..

Alec: they wasn't like my stats my freshman year

Spencer: they were close enough, but I won a championship and went to the tournament..

Alec: man they wasn't close at all tho

Spencer: 16pts 4reb 1ast 2to vs 11pts 4reb 2ast 1to...pretty comparable son

Alec: u kno they aint u jus talkin and I average 17 son

Spencer: how am I just talkin? Lol I know what they are I've been shown them a million times -_-

Alec: lol then u kno I average 17 then

--

For the record, as freshmen:

Alec Burks: 17.1 points, 5.0 rebounds, 1.8 assists, 1.2 steals, 1.9 turnovers, .538/.772/.352

Spencer Dinwiddie:  10.0 points, 3.6 rebounds, 1.8 assists, 0.8 steals, 1.4 turnovers, .402/.816/.438

Yes, Alec did indeed average 17.  As I touched on back in January, Burks' freshmen numbers are ridiculous, and should stand alone from a purely statistical standpoint for some time.

However, Spencer's point that his numbers contributed to a title run and a Tourney ticket can't be overlooked.  I would say that Spencer benefited from a stronger supporting cast and a weaker slate of in-conference competition, but title is title.

I'll call it a draw.

6 comments:

Goose said...

Shit, I love seeing that confidence from Dinwiddie. Honestly, I give the advantage to Alec, but the fact that Spencer's in the conversation with one of the all-time Buffs greats says enough about him.

jgisland said...

I like that we have guys that care about the program and a guy of Alec's stature for our young guys to try to measure up to.

I think we are actually getting a "family" type attitude around the program. abatemarco and burks are always giving each a hard time on twitter as well, nice to see these kind of relationships.

RumblinBuff said...

A standard to live up to. This is what Colorado basketball is, now go and improve on it.

Burks lays down two years of excellence, now, show me what you can do. Spencer brings home a conference title and a Tourney win, now what have you got for us, Mr. Scott?

RumblinBuff said...

Goose - RE: Spencer's confidence.

I've noticed that kids swagger ever since he played to the crowd after making a 3 in the glorified scrimmage on "meet the team night." The kid has buckets of confidence.

Goose said...

Love it. The team needs that swagger. Honestly, I'm raelly hoping that The Mayor and Scrat take the leadership role next season. Nothing against Dre, but he's pretty quiet out there. We need someone who can step up and tell people to pull their heads from their asses.

RumblinBuff said...

Have you seen Scrat? That kid can't keep his mouth shut, it's totally him.