Covering University of Colorado sports, mostly basketball, since 2010

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Quick Post: Big weekend for basketball recruiting

For some reason, I'm fascinated by this season's basketball recruiting process.  Usually, I abhor recruiting discussion, finding my time better spent on pursuits not involving the thought process of 18-yr old kids, but this fall has me jumping on every tidbit of recruiting information I can find. Maybe it's the open-ish narrative provided by Coach Abatemarco, maybe it's the fact that CU is actually grabbing some of the heavy-weights they're going after, maybe I'm just grasping at straws to distract myself from the impact crater that is the football program; whatever the reason, I'm enthralled.

I talked last week of the keystone spot in the '12 class; the point guard that would tie the whole group together and cement CU's place in the top-20.  Nominally, the discussion over the previous weeks had fallen at the feet of Messrs. Artis and Wallace.  Late last week, it became known that the CU coaching staff had cooled on Artis before any 'hard' recruiting got started, leaving Ty Wallace as the Buffs lone remaining high-profile target.
Wallace can soar, and would be the capstone of an already stellar 2012 recruiting class.
In short, Wallace is now a "must get."

Originally, CU had been scheduled as his last visit of the recruiting process (whether it's a good sign that he scheduled us last is for other people to decide), but has had to move his official visit to Boulder up to this weekend. Your thoughts, Coach Abatemarco:
Indeed.  I wouldn't expect a verdict from Wallace before he's completed all his trips, or, essentially, til the end of the month, but this is the weekend that will make or break CU's recruitment of him.

Go get him, Tad.

No comments: