Covering University of Colorado sports, mostly basketball, since 2010

Friday, September 30, 2011

Friday Beer Post: 2011 Gameday Beer-o-the-week - WSU Edition

Each week throughout the football season I'm going to suggest a good beer for the ubiquitous pre-game tailgate. Let's be honest, with tailgates it's not always top quality that you're looking for. To steal a phrase from the heinous beer terrorists at Budweiser, you want "drinkability." (or what a real beer connoisseur calls "a session beer") So, be warned, these may not be "the best" beers around. But, in the words of Dave Chappelle as Samuel L. Jackson "IT'LL GET YOU DRUNK!" 

I doubt I will have any beer at the tailgate tomorrow.  Shocking, News-at-11 level shit, I know.  I just won't physically be able to partake in my normal tailgate routine.  That's because tonight I will be doing my best to try each and every one of the 2,400 beers at the Great American Beer Festival, and the hangover tomorrow morning will be just short of debilitating.

GABF, 30 years a part of the Colorado craft brewing scene, is like the Super Bowl of beer.  If you haven't been, the best way I can describe it is to have you imagine Heaven, in all of its glory and splendor, and then cram it into a convention center.  I've been 3 times, and every time I enter the main hall I swear I can hear the faint sound of angels singing.
*cue the angelic choir*
Over 450 breweries bring the best beer that America has to offer to the Mile High City, and, over the course of 3-days, invite anyone smart enough to grab a ticket ahead of time to come and have a taste.  One ounce at a time, beer enthusiasts from across the globe slowly whittle their way through some truly spectacular stuff.  It's a one-of-a-kind experience to watch 40,000+ people slowly get sloshed on some of the best beers in the world.

Since tomorrow morning will have to be a very quiet and sober experience, this evening will serve as my tailgate for the game tomorrow.   In respect to all of the beers I can wait to taste, I'm not going to single out any particular beer for the week.  Accordingly, I'm naming each and every one of the hundreds of beers I'm about to sample this evening as my tailgate beers-o-the-week.

I had screwed up this year; tickets sold out before I could get my finances in order.  Luckily, I got friends in low places who know how to procure items when needed.  For the low, low price of free, I get to attending the festival this evening.  THANKS RICO, YOU FUCKING ROCK!

Happy Friday!  Go Buffs, Beat the Cougars!

No comments: