Covering University of Colorado sports, mostly basketball, since 2010

Friday, September 17, 2010

Friday Beer Post: Gameday Beer-o-the-week - Wailua Wheat

Each week throughout the football season I'm going to suggest a good beer for the ubiquitous pre-game tailgate. Let's be honest, with tailgates it's not always top quality that you're looking for. To steal a phrase from the heinous beer terrorists at Budweiser, you want "drinkability." (or what a real beer connoisseur calls "a session beer") So, be warned, these may not be "the best" beers around. But, in the words of Dave Chappelle as Samuel L. Jackson "IT'LL GET YOU DRUNK!"

This week the Hawaii Warriors come to Boulder for the season's first true tailgating opportunity. You may have noticed a trend in my tailgate beer picks: I pick a representative beer from the region of the opponent. This week, there is really only one choice: Wailua Wheat from Kona Brewing.


I love Kona Brewing. They do great work out there on the Big Island. Pipeline Porter and Fire Rock Pale Ale are some of my favorites to grab a six-pack of. Wailua Wheat, however, is by far my favorite Kona Brewing style. Brewed with passion fruit, this light, crisp wheat is great for hot days in the summer. Luckily, Boulder will stay in summer mode for at least one more weekend, giving me ample reason to grab a few Wailua's for the game. I just hope the Wailua Wheat is luckier than the Anchor Porter from last week.

Happy Friday and Go Buffs!

No comments: